Saturday 20 February 2016

Sweet Potato Fries

Hey Guys,
so I mentioned in my last post that I would write up the recipe I use to make sweet potato fries well I'm calling them fries but you don't actually fry them and you don't really do that much other than chop, season and bake the sweet potato so it's not really much of a recipe but I thought I would still share it with you anyway so you guys can know what to do if you haven't made them before and aren't sure how too. Also I've called them sweet potato fries but you don't actually fry them you bake them so they are a lot healthier for you than regular fries or chips.

What you need:
Sweet Potatoes
A Baking Tray
Baking Paper
Black Pepper
Olive Oil
A Knife
A Bowl
Salt

What to do:

You want to start off by lining a baking tray with grease proof paper and preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Depending on how many people you are making the fries for and how hungry you are as to how many baking trays you will need; I would say for 1-2 people you'll need only one tray and for 3-5 people you'll need two trays.
Then you want to chop up your sweet potato now you can either peel it or leave the skin on I personally like to leave it on but I slice off any bits that look bad and obviously wash it under cold water too. It depends on how hungry you are and how many of you are eating as too how many chips you need to cut up but I would say go with your instinct and you want to chop them quite think like pub chips/potato wedges size. I used two sweet potatoes this time because they were quite small but usually if they're just for me I'll only use one. Also can we just take a second to look at how orange these sweet potatoes were!

Once you've got all of your chips chopped up it's time to season them; this is where you can personalize them to your taste. So you want to place your chips in a bowl so it makes seasoning them easier. For mine I drizzled in a little bit of olive oil and then mixed all of the chips up so that all of the chips have olive oil on, you don't want them to be completely covered they just want to have got some oil on. Then you want to put on the classic seasoning ingredients of salt and pepper so I sprinkled some of both of then in then mixed it up and put a little bit more in. You could also add in any herbs and spices that you like for example you could add in paprika or rosemary.
After you've done with the seasoning you want to spread the fries out over the baking trays you lined earlier and place them in the oven. The fries should take between 20 and 30 minutes depending on how powerful your oven is and how chunky your chips are but I just keep and eye on it and take them out when I think they look done. I also recommend you turn the tray around after they've been in for about 15 minutes.
I just had the fries with some ketchup as I wasn't that hungry but usually I'll have some chicken with it, you can have it with whatever you fancy though just as a side dish or just have them on their own. I really like them because I am a really fussy eater so most of the time I'm not really keen on healthy alternatives of things but these I really like and they are a lot better for you as they aren't actually fried even though I keep calling them fries!

Let me know if you guys try them out and what you think of them and I'll see you on Monday,
Charlotte x

No comments:

Post a Comment